Pets are curious and will frequently ingest toxic items in their environment. Make sure you "puppy/kitty" proof your house as you would for a toddler. Put all chemical, drugs and potential foreign objects (small toys, latex toys, balloons) out of reach in a cupboard that locks.
Should your pet consume a toxin or potential toxin we do not recommend inducing vomiting at home, however we do recommend immediate veterinary care so that appropriate vomiting can be induced in a controlled environment. Some toxins can actually cause more damage when they are vomited up then when allowed to pass through the system (i.e.: petroleum products). We do ask that you call ASPCA's animal poison control (1-888-426-4435) on the way to the hospital so we can access the case number and immediately institute appropriate treatment.
Some common unexpectedly deadly toxins are: prescription medications, Lily's, antifreeze, raisins, grapes, chocolate, Xylitol containing products (gum, sweets, etc), rat poisons, coco mulch, mole bait, tobacco, coffee, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, play dough, fire works, paint balls, wild mushrooms, bread dough and onions.
Note: ASPCA's animal poison control (1-888-426-4435) is not subsidized by the US government and therefore requires a payment for information.