Holidays are fun for family, but sometimes not so much fun for your pet if they get into the wrong thing. Please watch out for these potential hazards:
Christmas / Easter
- Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and bacteria, which, if ingested, can upset the stomach.
- Holiday plants - especially Lilies, Mistletoe and Holly. Poinsettia's are only mildly toxic. The Amaryllis, also known as the Belladonna lily, Saint Joseph lily, Cape Belladonna, or Naked Lady, is just as toxic as it is beautiful.
- Electrical cords
- Ribbons or tinsel (can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction - a frequent issue we see with cats!)
- Glass ornaments
- Uncooked bread dough
- Holiday breads (including fruit cake) that may contain grapes, raisins or currants
- Corn on the Cob (NEVER offer your dog corn on the cob. If they eat the cob, they are likely to develop an obstruction of the intestinal tract which will require emergency surgery. If your dog gets a corn cob and eats ANY part of it, get them into your emergency clinic immediately and they often can induce vomiting to get the cob out before it can cause a problem)
- Wooden shish kabob skewers
- Fireworks (sometimes the noise is an issue that your local veterinarian could help with, but also watch out for used bottle rockets that landed in your yard)
- Sugar free items containing Xylitol
- Flower arrangements containing Lilies
For more details about hazardous plants, please visit the ASPCA Toxic and Non Toxic Plant List.